Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spinach Curry and Pita Bread

Everybody likes this one. Even people that don't like chick peas or tomatoes or spinach. My son gobbles this up, and always makes sure he has spinach with each spoonful.

The recipe is adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance to fit the needs of my small family, limited spice collection, and ease of preparation.

Spinach Curry (adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance)

  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes

  • 1 large onion, sliced

  • 4 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 tsp of ginger powder (or a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger)

  • 2 teaspoons curry powder

  • 1 teaspoons ground cumin

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped (I use about a half a bag of baby spinach-whatever I have left

  • 2 cups chickpeas, cooked and drained, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed

  1. Saute the onion for a little while..

  2. Add the garlic and ginger to the mixture, and saute for a few minutes.

  3. Add the spices and tomatoes; and saute for another minute.

  4. I tend to add more water at some point. You want the final product to have a little bit of “sauce” to it, but not to be watery. I like to add water at some point and then let it boil off.

  5. Add the spinach, I stuff as much in as I can, and put a lid on it and wait for it to wilt, then add more if there is more to add.

  6. After you’ve added all of the spinach, add the chickpeas. Lower the heat and stir occasionally for about 15-20 minutes. This is what the original recipe says, but I usually don't want to wait that long. Let the water boil off so it's a good consistancy, not to watery, and eat!


The pita bread is basically just your bread dough (see my bread recipe), rolled into balls, and rolled to an even quarter inch thick. Let them rest for 30 minutes while you heat your oven to 500 degrees. Then bake them until they are golden and puffy. We like to dip ours in butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment