Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Outdoor Saturday + Biscuit Recipe

Every week, I set aside as much time as we want to spend outside. I make a fire (as it's winter) with my wood scraps.

We cook chili in the fire and eat it with biscuits.

Sometimes I do some sanding. This week we made a snowman since it warmed up enough for the snow to be packable.

I also burned myself trying to take the biscuits out of the oven with just my gloves on and so I dropped the pan and made a mess of my oven.

I modified my biscuit recipe to turn them into cornmeal biscuits, and they were wonderful.

Cornmeal Biscuits

1 3/4 cup of flour (I use a combination of white flour and whole wheat)
1/4 cup of coarsely ground cornmeal
(basically you want 2 cups of flour/meal, you can play with the ratio, for my regular biscuits, just use all flour)
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of sale
--whisk the dry ingedients
2/3 cup of milk (I use soy milk)
1/3 cup of oil
--pour the oil and milk into the flour and mix it up
--then roll it out to about 3/4 of an inch and cut out biscuit rounds (I use a glass, but you can also use cookie cutters if you are feeling creative.)
--bake them in the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown on the bottoms

Enjoy! Try to set aside sometime for outside living, it's a lot of fun.


1 comment:

  1. Caleb, that's such a BIG snowman! We don't have any snow for snowmen, but you still need to come and visit DC lil buddy. We can visit the Orangutans at the Zoo (who are so sad it's cold, but you can see them).

    Tell your mama to stop making such a mess in the oven!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete